BOYS of ENGLAND 3-0 South Petherwin

Jewry,Reed, A.Strke

Final Match won by the B.OE As stated in the market edition last Saturday the Boys of England (Launceston) defeated South Petherwin on the latter’s ground by 3-0. The match was played before Good Friday
South Petherwin played with the wind in their favour in the first half and during the first thirty minutes they penned the Boys in their quarters and the homesters had extremely hard lines in not drawing first blood.
On one occasion a grand shot was put in by the South Petherwin the ball striking the crossbar with a bang. On another occasion the ball was kept in front of the Boys goal for about three minutes nearly all the homesters striving desperately to get it in the net, but luck was against the Rovers. Then again the homesters put in a grand passing run, quite the best for the afternoon, Horwood with a fine kick put Walters, the outside the left wing forward, possession of the leather, and it travelled from him to Vanstone, Hicks, Wilton and F.G Harris the last named missing the goal by about a foot. This bit of play was received with encouraging shouts from the home spectators In fact one of their oldest supporters considered "Everything in the garden looking lovely". So it was from a homester’s point of view up to now. But a change came over the game and J.Jewery, who followed up a kick got clear of Horwood and Raddall, and dribbling on went for goal finely, and about ten yards out put the final touch on the ball which found a resting place in the net. This was a fine single-handed effort of Jewry's and the B.O.E supporters) including Walter with the trombone yell) seemed highly pleased by the way they made themselves heard. Nothing further of note occurred before half-time when the Boys were leading by one to nil. The B.O.E had the assistance of the wind during the second half, and they kept the play most of the time in front of the South Petherwin goal. The second goal was got from a long shot, the ball by the bye being very lively on the hard ground. The home goalkeeper rushed out to punch the ball away and missing it altogether it hopped into the goal. From now to the end of the game the Boys had all the best of matters, and putting in another goal, deservedly won by 3 goals to none.
J.Philp did not have a hot shot for the afternoon, whilst F.Prout cleared a good many warm 'uns finely.
H.Oke and Blank did very well, the former flopping the ball to touch a good many times during the first half, but of course you could hardly expect anything else when you are playing cup matches. "Henry" was too artful too feed the opposing backs. W.Horwood, who turned out in the Rovers colours was an Old Claret player and has lost none of his form, and is now without a doubt the best back in Cornwall. I hope to see "Bill" playing again next season for Launceston. There is plenty of football talent in the Capital of Cornwall (it's Launceston I am referring to when I mention the Capital of Cornwall, although it might seem hard Lines to such towns as Bodmin to have to give way to the Royal and Loyal Borough) to run a team second to none. W.Radall although he got in a few kicks should have played in the half-back line. I think South Petherwin made a great mistake in playing Raddall at back. I am thinking he would have got his usual goal in this match in the first half if he had played in the half or forward line. A moderate back would have been sufficient when you have a star artist like Horwood defending.
Reed, Angear and Parsons are a fairly good line of half-backs, but Reed in the centre dribbles too much, and the team would have been strengthened considerably if he had changed places with L.Sandercock. Angear had rough luck with two or three beautifully placed shots W.Bennett, T.Bennett and T.Harris were the weakest line in the home team in this match. W.Bennett ought to have partnered Horwood and Raddall taken his place.
Jewry, Ball, Strike, Sandercock and Horrell all worked hard and lasted better than their opponents, who were F.G. Harris, A.Wilton, O.Hicks, R.Vanstone and R.Walters.
The B.O.E goals were scored by Jewry, Reed and A.Strike.
The referee, Mr E.Martin, carried out his duties in a very efficient manner, and he was quite right, although one or two of the players did not seemto think so, when he pulled the Boys up for off-side on three or four occasions. The linesmen were Mr C.Martin and Mr H.Roose.
After the game Mr W.Mills Jun, asked Mr Hart-Smith to present the winners with the cup in the unavoidable absence of Dr Andrew.
Mr Hart-Smith in a few well chosen words in which he informed those present that he himself was an old rugby player, congratulated both teams on the way the game was played that afternoon, and hoped the best traditions of both codes would live and flourish for ever. He then handed Mr H.Oke the cup amid loud cheering. The South Petherwin team in true sporting spirit then gave three hearty cheers for the team that had beaten them.
In the evening both teams spent a convivial evening at the New Market Hotel, where the cup was filled several times and handed round, and to finish the evening some of the players "looped the loop on Brewers' gallopers