Neil Tryner(2), Ben Mudge................Nick Harrison

Altarnun secured the Launceston Cup defeating the holders with a typically determined performance which saw them fight back from a goal down to win the cup for the first time since 1990.

The opening 20 minutes saw both sides battling out the game in the midfield area with neither side making any worthwhile attacks but then Southgate began to take the upper hand and they were rewarded with a goal when a free kick was sent into the Altarnun penalty area and Nick Harrison met the ball with a powerful header to give Southgate the lead.

Altarnun scored at a very crucial time in the game just before half time, when Neil Tryner charged down a clearance from a Southgate defender and then swept the ball forward drawing Nigel Dennis towards him before unleashing a well struck shot into the corner of the net.

Altarnun came out for the second half full of confidence and took the game to Southgate and gained the lead when Richard Williams sent a free kick deep into the opposition area and this was not cleared allowing Ben Mudge to steal in and knock the ball over the line to give Altarnun the lead.

Southgate were at this time not posing the Altarnun defence any threat from open play but were rewarded several unnecessary free kicks which caused the Altarnun defence a few scares but the ever reliable Louis Hill was a tower of strength in the air and Gary Colwill was only seriously tested once when a wicked cross saw him save and collide with the post at the same time.

Midway through the second half Altarnun scored their third goal when Steve Jasper threaded the ball through two defenders and Neil Tryner raced onto it before slotting home a shot. The game was effectively won then as the Southgate players' resolve weakened whilst Altarnun's grew and Simon Gillbard on as substitute should have finished the game when he headed over a cross from Neil Tryner with his first touch and then steered a shot just wide.

Altarnun's central midfielders were very instrumental in the victory as they closed down the threat of the Southgate play makers whilst Kelvin Buckley often kept two or three Southgate players occupied with his forceful running and Altarnun deservedly won the cup for the second time in their history and completed a remarkable treble by also winning the Division Two league and cup double.